Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

Because interviews are scary, part I

Kind of like these "red eyes."


So the 2008 Job Search Handbook for Educators has this huge list of most commonly asked interview questions, and because interviews usually freak me out (the most awful experience was with JET, ::shudder::), being prepared is the best. Here are just a few for now.

Why did you choose this profession as a career?

I enjoy learning and the novelty of learning. Children usually have a very fresh outlook on life and have a natural curiosity that I admire Their energy is contagious and inspires me to continue my own academic and personal development.

What makes you the best candidate for this position?

I have confidence in my skills and my potential growth. I hold problem solving in high regard, seeking to resolve the main issue as well as anticipating and preparing for any other problems that might appear. Some problems take longer to solve than others, but I’m sure a solution (more than one, usually) can be implemented.

Describe a personal experience which had an impact on your teaching.

I studied abroad at Hong Kong University as part of the UCEAOP. Because of the differences between the HKU and UC systems, the undergraduate math classes at HKU are closer in nature to graduate math courses at a UC. The courses I took were exceptionally difficult and although some of the HKU faculty were very encouraging and helpful, there was one professor who was very adverse to me staying in his class. I met with him, in search of guidance on a particularly challenging class assignment and was met with a condescending attitude, skepticism, and overall unwillingness to meet my academic needs. Granted, he was correct that the course was above my abilities of the time. Bluntly, he told me he did not want me to take his course and asked that I remove myself from it. I did, and for a time I felt discouraged and bitter about the situation. I thought it was unfair of him as a teacher to refuse to help me, a student willing to attempt anything in mastering the topic. But the humbling experience made me realize that I had not been working as hard as I potentially could when it came to math. When I returned to UCD to complete my degree, I applied what I learned in HKU and passed my remaining course requirements with some of the highest scores I’ve ever had in upper division courses. Of course, grades are not the only indicators of success. I gained a lot of confidence in my academic and cognitive abilities from this experience as well as new found appreciation for the complex logic involved in math. I know that a good student takes effort and exhibits an incredible work ethic in order to succeed. And a good teacher should do all in their power to help their students on their path to success.

What are your interests outside of teaching?

I enjoy outdoor activities such as biking, tennis, and swimming. My family has a sometimes unfortunate medical history so I am proactive about making healthy choices as often as possible. I also enjoy reading and blogging. I would like to publish something of my own someday.

What would your worst critic say about you?

My critics will say that I can be very critical (is it just me, or is there some irony here?). I believe in saying the truth and sometimes the truth can be painful. With some exceptions, I tend not to dispense my opinion unless explicitly asked since the receiving party may not be ready to hear it with any benefit yet. When I am asked, I try to make my ideas and advice edifying for all involved. I hope other people will do the same for me: telling me the hard truth when I cannot see it for myself.

What would you like us to know about you?

I am very interested in pursuing additional degrees, possibly up to a Ph.D. and I would like to continue my own education by taking night and weekend courses at local colleges or universities.

No comments: