Pages

Monday, January 19, 2009

Because interviews are scary, part II

The more I look at it, the creepier it is.


Blog while the sun shines, no? The previous set of Q&A were just "getting to know you" stuff. The following is about interpersonal skills.

If I spoke with your students/cooperating teacher/university supervisor/principal/colleagues/friends what three words would they use to describe you?

Fun, thoughtful, dedicated. (I think...)

How would you facilitate collaboration between home and school?

Besides notes home, phone calls (including positive ones), emails and home visits, I would like parents to know that the classroom is a sort of “second home” to them and their students. Open communication between parents, myself, and students is probably most important to alleviate any mistrust families may have towards the school system. I would explain the reasoning behind my teaching, not just handing students and parents a seemingly endless “to do list” which can seem arbitrary to the parent’s goals for their child. Parents are welcome to visit the classroom at any time, either as a volunteer or simply as an observer. One of my pet project ideas is to publish a regular newsletter of school and classroom events, student work, and other relevant education news for students to share with their families.

If confronted by an angry parent/colleague on an issue, how would you best respond?

I would listen to the other party first and ask for some time to think about what they say before responding. Apologizing for offended feelings is a must. Asking for a chance to explain myself is even more so. I want parents of my students to know that there is always a reason for my actions and that the whole purpose is for their child's educational benefit. If possible, the presence of a neutral third party might be helpful to dispel any volatile situations.

How would your students know that you genuinely care about them?

I will treat all my students fairly, providing them chances to explain their behavior as well as self correcting misbehavior. The focus is on techniques to help them succeed academically and socially so my actions will target the behavior rather than the person. I’ll give praise when it’s due and natural or logical consequences as needed. I want my student to know that I “like” them all equally and that rewards are won through individual achievement rather than partiality. Community building activities, especially those that involve group work, will also be incorporated into academic lessons.

How important is it for you to be well liked by your students?

It is important that I get along with my students well enough to effectively do my job as their teacher. I certainly do not want any student to hold grudges or resentments toward me, which may develop into an obstacle for their learning. I understand that being a teacher is not a popularity contest, but a professional relationship.

How would you respond to a student who asked for your advice on a difficult personal situation?

I would lead them to discuss all their possible options, and have them weigh the pros and cons of each as well as predict any consequences which might occur. The goal would be to help the student make a smart choice, one that doesn’t harm themselves or others. If they are having difficulty deciding, I would recommend that they speak to another trusted adult or friend, and to take time to think about it carefully before taking any action. It is important for students to learn how to gather as much correct information as possible before making a difficult decision because ultimately each individual is responsible for their own choices.

No comments: