Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

New hope

The power of art.

Art Student: ::whine:: I don't want to color.

Me: Then you can watch. (I pick up some color pencils and start to color his art)

AS: I like red.

Me: What item in your art do you want red?

AS: ::points:: The electric drill. (we were doing a still life of tools today)

Me: So you like jokes, huh? (he had been giving me "chatty" and "whiny" issues throughout the lesson because he wanted to tell knock knock jokes instead of doing art)

AS: Yeah.

Me: I know a joke, a Bible joke. Who in the Bible had no parents?

AS: Jesus?

Me: Nope, Joshua son of Nun!

AS: ::Promptly turns to another student and repeats the joke. They laugh. AS turns back to me and hands me another color pencil:: The hammer should be blue.

Me: Here's another. Knock knock.

AS: Who's there?

Me: Orange.

AS: Orange who?

Me: Orange you glad you came to art today?

AS: ::laughs:: Yeah. I'll finish coloring now.

Me: Go for it. (hands over the color pencils)

AS: I like art.

No comments: