Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Because interviews are scary, part V

It might take an entire strawberry tart to calm down.

I realize that my answers to these questions have probably changed. By probably, I mead definitely. But I'm putting my old interview question answers up anyway because blogs are cool like that. You can really see the changes of the author over long periods of time, just by comparing back entries to current ones. I might redo these later, I might not. For now, I just like to see how far I've developed as a teacher.

Classroom management

What type of classroom management plan would you implement?


A student-directed one. I would focus on the goals self-management, self-control, and self-correction. Students should also be able to make the right choices, be respectful and considerate of others, and know that every action has at least one consequence, if not more. I believe behavior management is not only for the classroom. The better equipped students are to handle their emotions for themselves, the better they can deal with stress for the rest of their lives.

How would you set up a student management system?

I would present the rules and regulations to students (perhaps have students come up with one or two more, if they are in the older grades). All students should review the rules and sign a contract saying they recognize why these rules are in place and what will happen if they are broken. Also in the contract is the promise to try to adhere to these rules to the best of their ability.

How do you handle children who are difficult to manage?

On an individual basis. Each student comes with different emotional and cognitive issues. I should research family background, the student’s previous experiences with other teachers, and behavior records before acting. There may be more to the situation than what the surface may initially indicate. In all cases, I will work with the student, as well as their parents, to help them manage their behavior issues in a positive way.

Describe the toughest discipline situation you encountered and how you handled it.

The small things students do to test me as a teacher are the toughest for me to handle. I have had to learn the hard way not to ignore these little things, but to nip potentially adverse behaviors in the bud and to present a consistently fair sense of judgement. Chattering with neighbors during direct instruction time, misuse of materials, rough housing with peers when they are supposed to be lining up quietly and appropriately - basically offense that can have multiple repetitions throughout any given day - all should be addressed immediately. I have practiced many various nonverbal interventions because of this.

If you were having classroom management difficulties, when and who would you ask for help?

Sending students out of the classroom should be a last resort for the majority of the time. If I was having consistent management difficulties, I would first have to self-reflect on what I am doing as a teacher that might solicit negative responses from students. The next level would be to speak with individuals or groups and ask if they know what they are doing and why they should not behave so at school. Speaking with the parents is also a must. I would ask my student’s previous teachers for any insight or advice on their behaviors. I would also seek new ideas that other colleagues have found success in and try them in my classroom.

No comments: