Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Game

Library owned.

I love Diana Wynne Jones' writing style. Her books are so fun and random, and sometimes completely unbelievable but the way she writes just sucks you in.

Like this one. The Game is a story that shouldn't be, but is because...well, I can't put my finger on it, but it seems like it CAN be real. Weird, huh?

One of my 101 in 1001 goals is to read a Newberry/Caldecott winner each month. Unfortunately, my local library does not contain that many of these lauded books. Just the typical ones on nearly every elementary school reading list. Newberrys shouldn't be that expensive, at least not in paperback form. But the Caldecotts! Whoa, do those cost an arm and a leg! Probably because they are nearly always in hardcover. Or maybe visual art has more value than words. How sad.

Anyway, I'm adding the above title to my list of books I want to acquire for my classroom library. It's an easy read, probably for 3-4 graders. Well, maybe 5th graders too. Because there at least two different definitions of illiteracy: 1) lack of skill needed to read in any language up to at least the 7th grade level and 2) the inability to find interest in reading enough so to read independently for at least an hour at a time. Definition #2 is my words only, although there are teachers who would agree.

No comments: