Pages

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Raise the standard high


It's Flag Day! The non-federal holiday which is relatively obscure among school-age children because summer has been dominating their minds since Memorial Day.

This is the National Flag Day Foundation website. Their mission statement is slightly off-key to me. But they do hold an annual (or what I assume to be annual at least) essay contest for grades 4-12. Each grade level has a first ($500) and second ($250) place prize. I would totally make my students do this.

The submission date is much earlier, May 5th, than actual flag day so some planning needs to be done.

But then, sometimes I plan so much it seems like second nature to me. It shouldn't be that difficult to teach students the art of essay writing + flag related things by May 5th. Right?

No comments: