Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

Field trip Fridays: Discovery Museum


The Discovery Museum of Sacramento is relatively small, but it is definitely school trip friendly. They have hand-outs and clipboards all ready for students to take and make notes and observations while perusing the site. I think they are more in demand for on-campus things like the traveling planetarium, or the traveling animals.


By the by, there is a beautiful owl housed here. They took it out of its enclosure during my class visit because it needed to go to a vet or something. We had to stand perfectly still while it passed within a foot of me. The owl is officially my favorite bird. Sad that I didn't get a chance to take a photo of it, but in this case, I'm glad to have soaked up that experience to the fullest rather than be so busy documenting everything. The holland rabbit above is cool too - its easily about as big as a medium-sized dog.



Apparently, many elementary students get up to 80% of their science instruction through field trips. That's a little depressing, but then how science is taught in the classroom at the elementary level is sometimes pretty depressing. I suppose field trips are a step up from that.

No comments: