Pages

Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Chrismakwanakuah!


My family usually goes out to lunch (Chinese food of course, since everything else is closed), then watch movies and such until dinner, where we either a) go to a relative's or b) go to a friend's home. It's a relatively quiet day, just the way I like it. I'm not a big Christmas person by choice and preference.

During my observation week, I helped a kindergarten class put together Santa windsocks and gift bags. Christmas is HUGE for primary grades. Well, it's huge for older students too. Which is nice, but I'm not sure I would make it such a huge deal. To me, the students just get all wound up with nowhere to go - and the teacher has to deal with that.

It is nice though, to teach students how to give and receive graciously. Even if they get something they may not like, it's good to teach them how to say, "Thank you for thinking of me." Community service comes to mind when I think about holiday activities for students to do in school.

Would I go the route of multi-religion-holiday studies? I'm not sure. I don't think spending one day on 4-5 different cultural holidays really do them any justice. I would rather make it a relational, personal time of reflection and enjoying classmate's company before the long break.

I would have a party of course. Because I really don't want to fight a room full of crazy, holiday heads on a Friday afternoon, trying to teach them anything solid. It wouldn't be fair to them, and it certainly wouldn't be fair to me. My aim is to work hard each day, so that we'll have time to relax a bit on those special occasions.

No comments: