Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Guests


A quick, easy read - well, I guess adult readers will have an advantage over 2nd graders, which what I guess the approximate level of this book is. But I would read it to any student of any age. Which is one of the marks of a good book.

It's a very different type of perspective on Native Americans and their first meetings with Europeans. This is no Indian in the Cupboard. I also found some unresolved inner turmoil from the main character: atypical of children's books, but I imagine pretty common among traditional Native American stories.

Like the story of the turtle and the old badger woman (or whatever animal she was - I don't have the book anymore to fact check). Very interesting fable. Was it an actual Native American fable? I don't know. But I believe it could be.

Which is all that matters.

No comments: