Pages

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Standards Sundays: Grade 5 political, religious, social, economical - historically the easiest to upheave

For some reason, rocks and water nearly always evokes religion for me.

There are seven sub-bullets under standard 5.4 in the social studies-history subject area for the fifth grade. I didn't find much meaning when I just read these bullets straight. It just didn't make sense to me - what am I supposed to teach? What are students supposed to learn? It's one of those instances where there's lots of verbiage but very little being said.

So I have to remind myself that all these standards are placed in the backdrop of the formation of the nation. And that nation formation always involves politics, religion, society, and economics. Then it starts to make sense.

Sort of.

No comments: