Pages

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Disconnect

What they don't see, can't make them throw an administrative fit.

My newest tutee is for NCLB tutoring. The school district wants me to work on multiplication, fractions, and decimals with this student. He actually isn't all that bad at any of those topics.

Well, let me rephrase that. He does well on the curriculum that the district mandates that I use. He probably doesn't do well with any other curriculum - because the district mandated stuff is dumbed down.

He is also an English Learner. That bit of information wasn't in the profile I received, but it's pretty obvious.

So. I've decided to scrap a lot of the curriculum and bring in my own stuff for this kid - done with my boss' blessing. I just can't document the outside things I do, not even if all I'm doing is helping him with his regular homework.

Yep. Jumping hoops and going around the establishment to help students learn better. I do like tutoring.

No comments: