Pages

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Arts in the classroom


I spent the majority of today in the EDTE 317 Visual and Performing Arts Methods course. The rest of my day I spent driving and wishing I had gotten out of the door just five minutes faster so I could have made the 7:20 light rail to campus instead of driving.

Anyway, because I did spend so much time sitting in my car or in class (with the exception of the dance and theater section of the course), I want to take a relaxing bike ride in the remainder of daylight. So here are just some initial notes of the course. I'll expand on them later. Or not.

- I'm so glad I chose UTEC. More and more I get the feeling I would NOT have meshed well in the other cohorts. And not only because UTEC was the most ethnically diverse group there today.

- I'm glad my cohort-mates are who they are. I don't think I would have learned as much, both about education and about people, if they weren't. =) Props to you guys.

- The theater and visual arts classes were my favorites. The one on standards was a snore as well as a chore. The dance and music one was a little incoherent and rather repetitive of the P.E. (dance) and social studies methods (music, because of US Constitution rap, the other round-robin chants on social skills, and the whole West African drum part).

- I kind of can't wait to take some of these methods and use them in student teaching. My CT would totally give me a good evaluation on improvisation and bringing new/different things to the classroom.

No comments: