Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quote of the day

As poetic as these orchids.


I get the feeling I'm going to come across more and more of these quotable student sayings this semester. There were a lot during the previous semester too, but they were harder to convey in a concise written form since 1st graders oral mannerisms tend to have one word of actual, pertinent meaning for every ten spoken. The really good ones I've already included as conversation logs before.

"I cry tears that fall like rain on dry cement." - 5th grader.

Isn't that gorgeous? This came from a lesson on similes using the "hint" words "like," and "as ___ as ____" in poetry form. There were lots of other note worthy ones (these kids are natural poets!), but this line struck me not only for it's beauty, but also because it came from a boy. Not that boys can't be sensitive, but my first impressions of the boys in this class is your typical shonen archetype. In other words: tending towards the loud, crass, and oblivious.

But then, even Naruto has a sensitive side.

No comments: