Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Quote of the day

"What's 'Chinatown?' Um, it's about China, and it's a town." - 5th grader

Let the red envelopes come!


Still sick but surprisingly a lot better than I anticipated. Warm salt water gargle is my current best friend. I didn't do much on my first day; just some light non-verbal behavior intervention and math guidance during independent work time. But tomorrow I'll be in charge of two first-year (and by "first year," I mean FOB-levels) English learners during ELD, leading a small group (aka "workshop," although I don't really think this word does justice to what actually goes on in a small group lesson) on the topic of similes and conjunctions, and a vocab/word knowledge mini-lesson.

I get the feeling JL is purposefully assigning me tons of language arts lessons to begin with expressly because I told him I feel stronger with math. And I am ok with this. Really. I love math and I love teaching math. But I also love language and I didn't get to do a lot of creative stuff with it last semester. Not because first graders can't handle creative stuff, but because, well, they are first graders. There's not a lot to work with until more sound/spelling rules are panned out.

Time to get cracking.

No comments: