Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

With grace

From style.com.

March 2009 Vogue feature on Michelle Obama

This week has been rough. Last week was rough. In certain ways, the week before that was rough too. It may be just me - ok, it's a lot me. There are many things I could have done better these first three weeks of phase III. And even though I dread going to school every day, the kind of pressure I get from my class, my CT, and the program in general added to family and other things is nothing on level with the pressure the First Lady has to take on.

Now this interview/article is most definitely not the entire picture. Knowing Vogue, it's probably a highly stylized/idealized picture of what the First Lady's life is like. Not to mention all interviews only show a very small sliver of the interviewee's life, just like how blogs (usually) only show a small fraction of the blogger's life. Realistically, the First Lady probably gets annoyed and might not always behave as if bathed in a pool of golden light.

But still. I don't know a lot about the Obama family, or Michelle Obama, but her interview replies are quite inspiring. One can only imagine how much more her actions must be, because from the little that I know about her, she seems like a person who values words only because there are actions behind them. Which is my kind of person, if that isn't clear enough already.

Knowing this, and all the high expectations the nation - nay, the world - has for her, all my complaints about phase III are so petty in comparison. Especially since Mrs. Obama's expectations for herself also seem to be on a whole other level from what the public expects of her. Even from the eyes of a writer for Vogue (who tend to be awe-struck very easily), I'm impressed, and wish for just half that much poise.

No comments: