Pages

Monday, April 20, 2009

Choices

Sometimes at restaurants, I choose what the person next to me is eating because I'm lazy and it's easier than reading through all the menu items.


Scenario 1:

Option A - get up at 6am to play two hours of tennis.
Option B - ignore the alarm and get some more rest because this cough has been ruining my intentions of getting a night's sleep.

Chosen: Option B. I woke up last night at 1am, 3am, and 5am coughing and spitting up the King of Phlegm's minions, even though I dislodged KoP a day or two ago. It's kind of like Hitler's dead but there are still Nazi's around.

Scenario 2:

Option A - do an art sub in Brentwood this afternoon, one that overlaps with swimming.
Option B - attend swim class and prevent myself from failing a P.E. course at a junior college.

Chosen: Option A. I'll be making $$$ at a job that has been good to me in many different ways. Besides, I can always re-take the swim class at another time.

Scenario 3:

Option A - finish UTEC, get my credential, move on to BTSA, and enjoy a life-long slog of classroom teaching including the slow and painful death of my rainbow colored dreams of improving the quality of education in this country.
Option B - forget all that credential crap and do the application for the next step in becoming an NET.

Chosen: ?????

Ok, so that last scenario isn't correctly informed. I just read the email from the Teach Away people, I didn't actually look at the fine print of the application. And it's only moving me forward to the interview process. And they didn't say when I would actually start - especially since I expressly remember putting December 2009 as my date of availability. So I think they should know that.

But they point is, NET vs. BTSA/Clear Credential. It's true that if I teach overseas, I don't necessarily need a California teaching credential. It's also true that many teachers are not making the 5 year deadline of getting their Clear because NO ONE IS HIRING OR KEEPING FIRST YEAR TEACHERS LONG ENOUGH TO DO THE YEAR-LONG BTSA. See what I mean about the slow and painful death? It's happening already.

I think I'll go for it. You have to let go of old stuff to have your hands free enough to take hold of new things after all.

No comments: