Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

Convoluted much?

Like an ostrich being fed bit by tiny bit through the bars, growing behind a cage.


Dear DOJ, FBI, and all California agencies which request fingerprinting background checks,

First, I would like to say that I respect your work. Thank you for keeping the streets (relatively) safe for the average American. It's a thankless job, which all teachers understand.

Now I would like to propose something to you. Something revolutionary. Perhaps - this is only a suggestion - it would be prudent to share information across agencies on people seeking the Live Scan service? Why? So then people won't have to pay the service fee multiple times.

Ok, so I admit this is a very selfish reason. I understand that there are dozens of special agents who run these things and if there were fewer Live Scan requests, then there would also be fewer government jobs. But please look at it from my point of view. Thus far, I've requested Live Scans for:

- applying to CSUS
- applying for a substitute credential through CCTC
- applying to my YR art instructor job
- applying to UTEC (technically, CSUS. I got in the first time, but opted to go to China instead so had to do it again)
- applying for the RDUSD sub pool

That's five times, approximately $300 worth of background checks. On the same person. Who's most serious criminal infraction is a parking ticket. FROM BART.

Seriously, I'm sure your agents have better things to do than to look at the DOJ file and tax records of a 25-year-old girl who has had a total of half a dozen alcoholic drinks in her life. The only people who think this is a bigger waste of resources than I do are the agents involved in my background checks. Researching my duller than doornails life probably makes them feel like the world is all gray and dingy. I do not envy that job.

Sadder still, I'll have to do the entire process another 3-5 times in the next few years. Learn to SHARE. If kindergartners can do it, so can you.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Drowning In Red Tape

P.S. Hm, perhaps I should get arrested or something just to make the lives of those agents more interesting. I do have a lot of pity for them. I know the G20 summit is over, but is it too late to join one of those protests?

No comments: