Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

That was a freebie

"The story of a wealthy family who lost it all."


Arrested Development is one of the most awesome comedy series. Ever. I discovered this only recently, since the first time I watched it some years ago, I wasn't used to the "documentary film making" style and the wobbly camera action made me nauseous. But The Office has pretty much cured me of that.

Most of the running gags are very much inside jokes ("Heeey brother."/"Her?"/etc) and certainly some of them flew over my head even though I watched it from beginning to end. In the season 3 episode "Exit Strategy," one of the running jokes was about the incompetency of trainees. Each of the gags involved the newbie messing up and then the trainer/supervisor say, "That's ok, try again."

Sound familiar? It does to me.

Sometimes they say otherwise, but student teachers are basically thrown in and told to go for it. Usually if they make a mistake they get a "That's ok, try again." Which is ok sometimes because I like to figure things out for myself too. But other times it is the epic of epic fails.

In any case, knowing there is a satire on this system makes me think I'm not so much in the wrong. Especially after dealing with some non-helpful university administrative types today. Sure, I admit to making mistakes and I take ownership for them. To quote JL, "I believe people are responsible for digging their own holes and lying in them." I dug a pretty deep hole and I'm occupying it now.

However, there is no need to help me make my hole bigger, thank you very much.

No comments: