Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Media Mondays: Kids Skin Health



I found today's teaching resource here, on one of my favorite beauty blogs. Beauty is only skin deep? Maybe, but it's pretty informative too. I, for one, have struggled with bad skin all my life - short end of the gene pool - and still do today. Sadly, my parents didn't know much about it either, and thus I have acne scars that will never go away. What I know now is all self-taught. I didn't get any skin health education in school either.

Kids Skin Health is an interactive site by the American Academy of Dermatology for kids to learn more about hair, skin, and nail health. It looks pretty fun, and has information on everything from pimples to skin cancer to lice to warts. Stuff that's really superficial (pun intended) but important, and can be easily overlooked for bigger things like.....

Wait a minute. When DO teachers and students get to talk about health in elementary school? Sex ed? That's all I can think of right now.

Ok. So health is another thing that isn't taught enough in school. So much to teach, so little time.

No comments: