Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The New Global Student


I read this book several months ago and really enjoyed it. I don't believe EVERY student should do what the author's kids did. For one thing, there really is an age requirement to doing solo travel. The author was able to go with their kids, which obviously is not always possible for everyone. But I am fully supportive of studying abroad if the student even has any interest in doing it. I would wait until the kid is around 16 or so, depending on the kid's maturity level, for solo trips to unconnected places (i.e. no family or trusted friends to look out for the student).

There are some really nice tips in this book too - for every student, at every stage, not just for studying abroad. It's how I wish everyone viewed education: as a life-long activity, as a multi-faceted, multi-productive way of life. It spans culture/gender/age, breaks barriers, builds relationships, and connects people to each other as well as to whatever they are studying.

1 comment:

Maya said...

Hey--thanks for the kind words about my book!

Very best,
Maya
Maya@MayaFrost.com