Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Movie day

Site of movies such as The Dark Knight, Push, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, and whole bunch more.

It's the end of Unit 1 in Open Court and we are watching a movie on cooperation and competition. My CT chose Remember the Titans, which fits really well with the theme.

I originally wasn't so hot on the idea of showing movies in class. It seems like a cop out to me. And students get so much TV at home anyway, they don't really need more in school.

But the choice of movie can make the activity sink or spectacular. I like pretty much anything by National Geographic, Lonely Planet or Globe Trekker, and the movies that match with whatever topic we are studying.

My all time favorite is Donald Duck in Mathmagicland. This movie was made before I was born, probably, but it is still awesome. Math never goes out of style.

No comments: